Kate's Blog

My first ever blog!!

How to get around the Youtube ban at most schools

August20

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the post drought, I’ve been on practicum all week and also am involved in a theater production that takes up every evening (great timing right?). However, whilst on practicum I have found some really great tools that have been used in the grade 5-6 Learning Center I am at. One of these is a really good website called Zamzar (http://www.zamzar.com/) which allows you to convert online videos (like the ones on youtube) into a file format that you can save onto your computer and then play at school. I have already used this 4 times just this week to supplement my lessons with videos as I take lessons on the topic of Child Rights. At first I tried to find content on teachertube, but there was limited material. The wide variety of content on youtube offered a lot of useful videos however it was not possible to open these at school due to network restrictions on the school computers.

Here is a video which quickly explains how to use Zamzar:

by posted under Uncategorized | 3 Comments »    
3 Comments to

“How to get around the Youtube ban at most schools”

1. August 22nd, 2011 at 8:09 am       mpsit Says:

Saving YouTube video is a great idea!
    I do it at uni even because the computers when presenting always seem to stuff up or load REALLY slowly.
    Another one you can use to download YouTube videos is http://keepvid.com/. There’s probably an infinite number of these websites.

2. August 22nd, 2011 at 6:42 pm       rickileicester Says:

Thank-you so much for posting this as I continually have issues with YouTube, especially whilst teaching, as I tend to insert YouTube links into my PowerPoint slides, which unfortunately do not work at times. I think this is necessary for students to understand how to use, as many times students will be presenting their work with a link to YouTube that does not work. This would also be useful for students to continually build a video gallery for a specific project, such as a unit on contemporary dance or a unit on Shakespeare where students could find several video clips to download and share. This would therefore encourage great classroom discussions. Thank-you again.

3. August 24th, 2011 at 4:54 pm       Jess Says:

You read my mind!

I was seriously just trying to find a site for doing this very thing today while on practicum! My teacher and I were hoping to use a clip off YouTube for a writer’s notebook lesson next week, but were feeling restricted as the school is currently in the process of changing the security settings to allow teachers access to YouTube (as they have been having a lot of teachers complain that they are prohibited from using such a great teaching resource!) We searched FUSE for a while in hope of finding a suitable clip, but it just didn’t have the variety that YouTube has… I will be checking Zamzar out as soon as I finish blogging this afternoon 🙂

Thanks so much, Kate! Great find 🙂

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar